50 facts about Qatar through the eyes of a Russian (6 photos)
1. Qatar is a typical oil-producing Arab state, the country is inexcusably rich and negligible.
2. Prior to the study of oil reserves Qatar was engaged in the extraction of pearls. It was another, retarded Qatar.
3. The form of the government of Qatar is an absolute monarchy, instead of the Constitution – the Sharia, but the orders are sometimes European.
5. Rains – so rare that the first rain of the year was yesterday, November 7.
6. Oil dollars are spent on the social sphere. Effectively spent. But freebies can only be used by citizens of Qatar.
7. You can get to Qatar either at the invitation of a local company or by obtaining a visa, which will be issued by the receiving hotel. Although if you are from the countries of fallen capitalism – then a visa on entry!
8. There are no interesting historical sights, everything happens here and now.
9. Outside the capital, Doha, in fact, there is nothing to do. So Qatar = Doha.
11. The roads in Doha do not intersect at right angles. Usually it’s a roundabout.
12. Doha is a city under construction, rather dirty. But somehow garbage is not very noticeable.
13. Week starts on Sunday, weekends – Friday and Saturday (usually only Friday), if you are a lonely peasant – in the first half of the day off you may not be allowed to enter the mall, for example. Only to families and women. Bachelors are perplexed – coloring!
14. Only 20% of the population of Qatar is its citizens. The rest are foreign workers – Indians, non-Katar Arabs, Filipinos. Well, a little bit of Americans and Europeans.
15. There are so many Indians that there are Hindi films in theaters.
16. Qatar would be even richer and more developed if the wages of local workers did not go abroad by remittances, but remained in the country.
17. Qatar people rarely work. Either from the poor (yes, there are such), or from nothing to do.
18. Citizenship can not be obtained. It is necessary to be born Qatar from Qatar.
19. Children polls in English. Maybe because they have nannies, foreigners.
21. Guards-Qatari often suffer from excess weight.
22. Despite the fact that the cathars go to Abay, they buy up a bunch of European clothes in the malls!
23. Qatar, like all Arabs, adore perfume. The smell costs for hours!
24. A Qatari couple can enter the hotel only upon presentation of a marriage certificate.
25. Qatar people stay in hotels for one night not to change their wife, but to get drunk. Alcohol is banned. Yes, and spend the night unnecessarily – for a couple of hours in broad daylight – and ready-made already!
26. The distribution of alcohol (for foreigners, of course) is engaged in a single company. To obtain a license to purchase you need to have a residence permit in Qatar, be over 21 years old, have permission from the employer (!) And receive a pee over $ 1000. The volume is limited. I would like to stress once again that there is no alcohol in supermarkets!
27. If an Arab does not smoke, then neither does he.
28. Pork is banned, but it is rumored that in December they will start importing. Rejoice, non-kosher!
29. Carbonated drinks are cheaper than drinking water.
31. The most frequent advertising is the advertising of chips. Arabs and Indians absorb them in tons! More crackers are all kinds.
32. The cuisine is diverse. If Arab something with all sorts of herbs, spices, herbs. But it is safer to eat fast food – surprises will not happen then 🙂
33.Benzin is so cheap ($ 0.25), that no one even thinks about driving a small car. In the fashion off-road cars. They do not walk on foot.
34. There is almost no public transport in Doha. There is no metro, buses run very seldom and inconsistently, and then, with a special ticket-transit system, there is only a taxi for transportation.
35. Qatar is perhaps the safest Arab country. Maybe because there is a US military base here 🙂
36. You can live peacefully even without knowledge of Arabic. Almost everyone speaks English.
37. Russians everywhere. There are not many of them, but they are.
38. Handshakes are extremely rare (in an international environment). More often just “Hallow” and all.
39. Walking with uncovered shoulders and in clothing above the knees is considered indecent, although it is possible to go to clubs.
41. The contingent-peasants-Lebanese or Egyptians, less often black Arabs-Sudanese, girls-Filippinki. And Europeans, where do without them.
42. There is no show-biz. In addition to world stars, Egyptian and Lebanese artists are popular. But even music, claiming the title of modern, still with traditional motifs. Cinematography is also traditional.
43. There are no public beaches, if only outside Doha (do you need?) Or at hotels, again, not cheap.
44. Calling abroad is cheap, but it’s not so easy to talk inside the network.
Al-Jazeera is the most famous and respected Arab television channel. Qatari 🙂
45. Literary Arabic to colloquial Arabic – strife! Rules are not respected, accents cloud!
46. Qatar is probably the most sporting Arab country, although it is not so much doing sports as building sports facilities.
47. They like to watch rugby, cricket, fights without rules. Game! But they like to play football, of course.
48. The previous 3 years in Doha hosted the Final Women’s Tennis Tournament. But now this tournament moved to Istanbul.
49. Qatar will host the World Cup in 2022, following Russia.
50. These facts were written not by a Russian, but by a Kazakh Ukrainian, and you did not even notice 🙂